- Master of Divinity, United Theological Seminary of the Twin Cities
Concentrations in Ecumenical Studies, Art and Women's Theologies
- Bachelor of Arts with Honors, Metropolitan State University
Major: Professional Communications
- CAREER EXPERIENCE:
- Purple Apple Arts Woodbury, Minnesota. 2000-Current Owner, Independent Teacher, Artist and Writer
- Teacher and Retreat Leader
- Published designer and teacher of various art and craft techniques
- Retreat topics include: Sabbath, Simplicity, Prayercraft, Women’s Theologies
- Prayer Beads and the use of Christian jewelry as a prayer tool
- Artists of Woodbury Member
- Piano Instructor
- Specializing in music education for children
- Background as a church musician, choir director and accompanist
Spiritual Director secializing in using art media and creativity coaching
- Labyrinth Facilitation:
- Advanced Certified Veriditas Facilitator – trained by Lauren Artress, Grace Cathedral
- Constructed labyrinths at various locations including Arlington Hills United Methodist Church, Pilgrim Point United Church of Christ Camp, Farmington Lutheran, Christ Episcopal Woodbury, and others
- Member of The Labyrinth Society and Minnesota Labyrinth Network.
- Creates and delivers courses about using the labyrinth as a tool for prayer
Circle of Love Meditation Bracelet (Woodbury, Minnesota: self-published, 2006)
editor of Bless Sophia: Worship, Liturgy and Ritual of the Re-Imagining Community (Woodbury, Minnesota: self-published, 2003)
Beadwork published in the following publications:
Gerlach, Julia, ed. Peyote Stitch from Beading Projects: The Best of Bead and Button Magazine “Collectible Catch-Alls” (Waukesha, Wisconsin: Kalmbach Publishing, 2005) p.80.
Campbell, Jean, ed. “Chakra Ring” Beadwork Creates Beaded Rings (Loveland, Colorado: Interweave Press, 2004) p. 78-79.
Beadwork Magazine “Terry’s Love Beads” Feature Article about Terry Mays, Clay Bead Artist - May 2003 (Vol. 6/No. 3) p. 70.
“Ski Sweater Matchbox Cover” – January 2003 (Vol. 6/No. 1) p. 66
“Milk and Honey Bookmark” – March 2002 (Vol. 5/ No. 2) p. 28 Bead and Button Magazine “
Collectible Catch-Alls” – August 2001 (Issue 44) p. 42.
Songs published in the following publications:
Whitmore, Alan C. ed., “We Meet Together for Peace” arrangement for Doreen Lanshear-Smith Spirit Anew: Singing Prayer and Praise (Kelowna British Columbia, Canada: Wood Lake Press, 1999) p. 75.
Re-Imagining Quarterly “The Lost Coin” May 1999 (Issue 19) p. 6.
Lankshear-Smith, Doreen, “Distant Sisters” (music) and “We Meet Together for Peace” (arrangement) Songs for Mending the World (Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada: DLS Music, 1998) p. 11 and 19.
Martin, Madelin Sue, ed. “You Call Us” with Nancy Berneking, Bring the Feast: Songs from the Re-Imagining Community (Cleveland: Pilgrim Press, 1998) p. 49.
Berneking, Nancy J. and Joern, Pamela Carter, eds. “Sophia’s Song” Remembering and Re-Imagining (Cleveland: Pilgrim Press, 1994) p. 168-169.
Articles published in the following publications:
“Personal Reflections on the Labyrinth Walk” Re-Imagining Quarterly, May 1997, p. 19.
“Labyrinth Images” and Book Review on Praying the Labyrinth by JKH Geoffrion, Re-Imagining Quarterly, November 2000, p. 21.
“Prayercraft” Re-Imagining Quarterly, May 2001, p. 4.
"Images of the Feminine Divine" The Spirit of Veriditas: Voices from the Labyrinth, Spring 2010
SHOWS AND AWARDS:
- Jack in the Green – 3rd place – Upper Midwest Bead Society 2003
- Heart of Gold Chatelaine – Blue Ribbon – Minnesota State Fair 2004
- Trinity Basket – ‘top finisher’ – Upper Midwest Bead Society Challenge 2001
- Participated in shows at the Textile Center, United Theological Seminary, Woodbury Lutheran Church, Edina Art Center and the Goldstein Gallery.
Sue lives in Woodbury, Minnesota. She is married to Roger Swanson. They have two boys: Matthew and Jeremy Swanson, who is married to Krista, parents of Victoria Grace and Robert Leith. She enjoys traveling, reading, knitting and gathering circles of women's wisdom.